Saturday, July 16, 2011

Have You Hugged Your Hairstylist Today?

I've just got a bit of a mélange (thank you, www.synonym.com!) of stuff today, so it's not all about my hairstylist.  I just thought I probably shouldn't call today's post "Awesomer Day, Part 3".  Even I am gettting bored of that title!

That's not to say that I haven't been having more awesome days... because I have!  It's been wonderful having such wickedly good weather every day of this week to go along with the awesome days... and the awesome days just can't be stopped!

Take yesterday, for example.  After getting my brows shaped and my feet gussied up, I was ready for the grand finale to my mini-makeover.  I got my hair cut and coloured. 

Now, I know this is commonplace for most women my age, but for me, this is some big time pampering.  I am terrible at scheduling regular hair appointments, so getting my hair cut, let alone styling and colouring, is a significant event!

So, I went to my hairstylist Franca's house, where she has just moved her business.  She is renovating her entire basement to be this super chic salon with an entire wall dedicated to coffee.  I squealed a bit when she told me her plans.  The wall will have a machine that makes cappuccinos, lattes, espressos, coffee... possibly small talk... who knows!  It's going to be a strong lure to keep bringing me back - maybe even on a regular basis!

Anyway, I told Franca that she could do whatever she wanted to my hair, but I had to look unbelievably fantastic when she was done with me. 

And she totally did it!  I had to take my glasses off for the whole cut, colour, highlights, etc, and when she was done and let me put them back on, I literally gasped when I looked in the mirror.  I had a complete spaz out and couldn't stop gushing about the transformation.  I even jumped up and hugged her!  And... the best part is that she did it in a way that will only require touching it up every 6 months!  Yes!

Even the guy who was there drywalling her basement basically couldn't believe how beautiful I was.  Well, he said my hair looked nice... but I could tell he really, really meant it.

So, I skipped out of her house feeling high on life (possibly hair dye fumes?  drywall dust?) and headed out for the shopping centre near my house to get some "back to work" clothes.   I couldn't very well call this a decent transformation without new clothes!

On the way, however, I saw a sign that made me giggle:


The other side of it said, "Does your cat PUKE? Let us help!"  Not much more normal, but it certainly helped me make sense of it all!

Which reminds me - I never did post this next picture on this blog.  I saw it a month or two ago while I was out and about:


"Lady doctors"?  What decade are we in again? 

Anyway, after I snagged a picture of the puke sign, I was off to shop for clothes.  Now, usually, clothes shopping doesn't rank as one of the top things I enjoy doing, but this time it was different.  I think it's partly because I've lost a wee bit of weight recently, but I think it was also because I finally took my mom's advice and tried on things I didn't think would look good on me.  Low and behold, I had an enjoyable shopping experience and bought some nice clothes!  I even got a great deal on a pair of tan pants - 15 dollars!!! 

Then, I dashed off just in time to pick up the kids.  While I was picking up the kids, my cell phone kept ringing and texts kept coming in.  Once I got the kids buckled in the car, I looked at my phone and realized it was Ken's parents.  I called them and they said they were all at Ken's sister's house, and would we like to come over for Chinese food and a swim in their pool?

Uh... yes!  Julie's house was an hour away, but at that moment, that was but a minor obstacle.  :-)

Ken and I did a mini-scramble to get swimsuits and diapers and bottles and so on packed into the van, and off we went!  I had a nice relaxing evening watching the kids enjoy the water (I wasn't about to chance getting my awesome hair wet!) and chatting away with everyone.  It was a whirlwind visit, but so worth it.  The kids slept sooo well that night, too!

The only thing that could have made the day any better would have been new shoes!  Which I got this morning!  Woo hoo!

I am so grateful for every minute of this past week.  It's been nice to take some time to rejuvenate and indulge myself a bit.  I highly recommend it!

And now I am planning to enjoy every minute of this weekend.  I am also planning on forcing Ken to sit through one of my fashion shows as I pick out my "first day back" clothes.  Feels like the first day of highschool all over again!

I'm such a nerd. 

2 comments:

  1. You look FAB for going back on Monday....thinking about you lots...
    I never thought of Forks of the Credit as a good cathartic place....hmmm
    We are in the Black Hills of South Dakota for a few days ..... and then busting for home
    Love
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should get Franca to set up a 'roll up the rim' type deal for her coffee wall. You'd be a lifer after that! :) T

    ReplyDelete